This is a fine example of a Piedmont farmhouse consisting of an 18th century single story log cabin later expanded to include a second story. In the mid-19th century (c. 1840) a large five-bay, two-story block was added to the earlier house. Finally in the mid-20th century a further two-story addition was made to the original house.
The project includes the renovation of the existing home in order to update systems and finishes while maintaining the historic integrity of the multi-part structure. A gabled entrance porch has been added to the 1840’s wing, which now contains the front door to the house. A new wing containing a kitchen and family room has been added to the east end of the house, in the form of a one-story columned porch. The two stone chimneys on the east façade were completely rebuilt, and one of the fireplaces was reversed so that it faces into the new kitchen eating area. New columns were added to the existing rear porch, and new trim was added to the dormers.
On the basement level an existing laundry and storage room was renovated into a family playroom; the floor was lowered 6”, a new stairway was built down from the first floor, and new windows and a door were installed on both sides of the room to admit more light and to lend a sense of order to the room (and to the exterior facades).
Finally, to accommodate the owner’s book collection, a stair hall connecting the 1840’s wing to the remaining areas of the home was converted to a library with floor to ceiling bookcases that maximize shelf storage. A rolling ladder was installed for accessibility of the highest shelves
Rappahannock County, VA
Consulting Historical Architect
C. Richard Bierce, AIA
James Urban Landscape Architecture